Sunday, April 02, 2006

When you gotta have it, you gotta have it...

This morning I woke up after a mere 4 hours of sleep with a desire to eat carbs. Lots of them. Taped to my fridge is a recipe from the last time I had this same desire - a recipe for Ina Garten's sour cream banana pancakes. Yum. Who wouldn't want to eat that? Nice and lemony and tangy. I even had an extra large lemon to zest.
For some reason I decided to add a spoonful of poppy seeds. I've been on a poppy seed kick lately - those suckers are so nutty and flavorful even though they are tiny. I stirred them into my dry batter and decided, heck! Why not through in another spoonful? Mix mix mix. Then I somehow wake up and realize....I've put in black mustard seeds!!
Do I throw the whole thing out and start all over again?? Oh no no no. First, I don't have another lemon. Second, I'm stubborn. So I park myself in front of the TV with bowl and strainer and start picking out those suckers one by one.
I kid you not. See for yourself:



Yup.

2 comments:

Ody said...

Wow. How did you satisfy the carb-lust in the meantime? Personally, I would have just eaten the mustard-seed pancakes. But then again, I probably would have done myself in by adding them to the wet batter. I did once try to strain the sugar out of a flour mixture for cookies, then tried to cream the half-cup I managed to recover with half a pound of butter. Oopsie. Best soft-molasses cookie recipe ever, though (off epicurious). And don't forget some of Mama Joly's fumbles---lemon extract mistaken for vanilla in chocolate chip cookies (surprisingly not-bad); cayenne pepper for paprika in Hungarian goulash (a little might have been nice) . . .

fried beef sandwich said...

Mustard seed pancakes are really good with pureed bratwurst syrup.

You really should try it someday.