Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A delicious korean dinner...

One of the nights we were in Korea my uncle took us to a restaurant known for its mountain vegetable set meal. I love this kind of stuff - when we went last May we had gone to a restaurant that dealt with lettuce wraps. Koreans are big on using lettuce to wrap up rice and meat and pickles and making a meal out of it. This place had all sorts of different lettuces - from sweet to bitter and herbal. My mother loves this place and so my uncle told us he would take us somewhere similar.

There are many mountains in Korea, and as a result, many different types of plants that grow on these mountains. There are all sorts of leaves and roots that are used in korean cooking that I wish we had access to here. Although this meal had no meat (we had two or three small broiled pieces of fish shared among the five of us) I felt completely full and satisfied from nibbling away at the various plants and pickles. And I felt like I had done something good for my body, which is pretty difficult to achieve in Korea what with all the baked goods and rice cakes and fried snacks I find myself eating every day!

Below is a slide show of that meal - you can click on any picture to get a description of what it is!

3 comments:

fried beef sandwich said...

slideshow no worky... :(

anne said...

oh, bummer! hm. what browser are you using? it's showing up when i use safari and firefox...

anne said...

oh! and you can also just view the flicker set here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starchmouse/sets/72157594160044679/