Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Atlanta split pea soup


So this soup actually has nothing to do with Atlanta except for the fact that I bought the smoked turkey neck at Your Dekalb Farmers Market, a delightful place near my brother's apartment where my mother and I oohed and aahed over the large variety of spices and meats and grains. I went there twice in three days (the first time with my brother to buy the many items my mother needed to cook and freeze food for the next four years my brother is in med school and the second time because my mother was jealous we went without her) and brought back smoked turkey neck, weisswurst, extra virgin coconut oil, celery seed, and whole wheat cream cheese croissants.

This soup turned out delicious, although the turkey neck smelled a lot better than it actually tasted, which was like plain old turkey neck. So next time I make this I'll probably use ham hocks. Maybe my brother could bring me back some when he comes home for thanksgiving??

1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped

In a 6 quart dutch oven, saute these ingredients with a little olive oil until they are shiny and smell really good. Then add:

2 three-inch pieces of smoked turkey neck
0.5 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp celery seed

Saute another minute or so. Then add:

1.5 cup dried split peas
6 cups water

Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for half an hour, partially covered. Start checking to see if the peas are getting cooked/mushy. Once they are done, you can fish out the turkey necks and shred the meat into the soup. You can also leave the soup chunky or use a stick blender. The soup will seem too runny, but it will thicken up a lot as it cools down. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments: